2021 Blooming Hill Events and Happenings

We are working on it. Stay tuned...

Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Faerie Houses


While in Connecticut this past weekend, I spent a most pleasant Sunday afternoon visiting the Florence Griswold Museum situated along the banks of the Lieutenant River in Old Lyme, one of the prettiest towns I have ever had the opportunity to visit, time and again, throughout the years. The Griswold Museum was originally founded by the woman named Florence who inherited this property back in the late 1800's. Having really no other means of a living, Florence Griswold made her home into a boarding house for artists, who seeking escape from New York City and longing for rural character in the local countryside, could come and pursue their craft. She then founded an artist's colony on her property, now well known as the Lyme Art Colony. Today, the Florence Griswold Museum is one of the largest and longest-lived art colonies in America set in a quintessential and picturesque New England Village.

















But, enough about that. My real purpose is to talk to you about the charming and most unusual of house tours I've ever been on. It took place on the grounds of the Griswold Art Museum and what a perfect setting it was. The weather was crisp and clear. The autumn colors were vibrant and vivid and the Faerie houses--well the Faerie houses, nestled among the museum's trees, gardens and outbuildings, were friendly and welcoming. Each displaying that particular resident's unique taste in both interior and landscape design and architecture made possible through their hunting and gathering talents and abilities.


It was a rare and magical afternoon and I just want to thank the museum personnel, and most especially, the Faeries (artists) for opening their tiny abodes to the public. After all, how often does one get a glimpse into the fantasy world of Faeries--I ask you?! The afternoon allowed me to open my heart to these tiny creatures by nurturing feelings of wonder, reverence and love for every detail they shared here.










































There are 34 Faerie homes open at the Griswold Museum for only a short while longer and I am showing you just a few glimpses. If you are in the Old Lyme, CT area, you should take the time and go experience their wonderful hospitality before it is too late.






These two pictures you see is an example of what I think is a human-sized Faerie house built by resident Griswold artists. Although it is not furnished, I could easily picture a few of my own pieces arranged thoughtfully throughout this charming twig house with a few roaming chickens thrown in for good measure. The only thing I can think of that is missing from this structure is a fire place...I wonder why?!
















Ever lose a gardening tool or a spool of thread?--the Faeries probably have laid claim to it and use these things in their own houses somewhere on your property. I can see that these particular folk like old china displayed around their house and gardens, just like I do.





By now you're thinking, "Good heavens, the girl's gone loony!" Well, perhaps I have. But when you can truly feel the sweetness of this magic, as I'm sure those along with me felt as they walked through this Wee Faerie Village on this lovely fall day, you will also begin to discover the Faeries, for they will make themselves known to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment