2021 Blooming Hill Events and Happenings

We are working on it. Stay tuned...

Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Pumpkin Revelry

A pumpkin tower teetering on a tree stump.
"Oh, Great Pumpkin, where are you?!" asks Linus in, It's The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown, as he waits, faithfully, in a pumpkin patch by himself, after Lucy gets up and leaves in disbelief.  Who isn't rooting for Linus to be right??? And, who doesn't want to believe in the Great Pumpkin???  Certainly not me since I love pumpkins--all sorts of pumpkins from the homespun and "au naturale" ones to the fanciest, glitteriest and most sophisticated designer types somehow engineered and designed by the 21st Century farmer and/or crafts person.

"Folksy Pumpkin" Sign
Don't forget splendid gourds!
Pumpkins, squashes and gourds, painted by nature, abound at nearby farm stands for people to come and be inspired, and perhaps, pick up a few to take home.
A plethora of petite, pretty pumpkin gourds.
I love roaming through pumpkin patches, browsing in pumpkin stands and even rooting around the grocery store bins for pumpkins, squashes and gourds with unusual stems sprouting from the tops of their "warty"and misshapen, striped and speckled forms.  To me, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and the perfect find comes only after the thrill of the hunt.  Each pumpkin from the plainest to the most colorfully detailed is fall's answer to spring's Easter Egg.

Sometimes, it's all in the stem.
Lavender Potpourri Velvet Pumpkins here at Blooming Hill.
A few years ago, I came across the most charming of handmade pumpkins by a company located in Minnesota and their price tag was astronomical, but I had to have one..well, maybe two.  However, since then, I've learned that when necessity is the Mother of Invention, then the mother better start inventing! So, that's what I did and, to put my own creative touch on these "soft as a velveteen rabbit" pumpkins, I fill them with Blooming Hill lavender potpourri.  The Great Pumpkin has nothing on me and I only wish Linus and Lucy were here to see and breathe in these little beauties in all of their October splendor.

Rich autumn colors.
Starry, glittery pumpkin at twilight.

Pumpkins lined up and at the ready at a nearby farm stand.
                    So, even though  I don't have to spend an entire night waiting in vain for the Great Pumpkin to appear, I can still surround myself in plump, luscious pumpkins, either by acquisition, or  of my own making. If you like these little velvet lovelies, they are available here at Blooming Hill while the rest can be found at your friendly neighborhood fall harvest stand or pumpkin patch.  In any case, here's wishing you, your own lavender-pumpkin dreams for a wonderful and bountiful autumn.

1 comment:

  1. My favorite is the tower of colorful pumpkins, but the dark, sparkly pumpkin on a cake stand almost looks like a chocolate cake!
    It is definitely time to decorate for fall. :)

    ReplyDelete