2021 Blooming Hill Events and Happenings

We are working on it. Stay tuned...

Monday, December 13, 2010

Hillsboro Holiday Craft Show

This past Saturday was the first time I had ever participated in the Christmas in Hillsboro Homes Tour and Holiday Craft Fair and it was certainly a lovely event with the weather outside cooperating where the homes were decked in their "Williamsburg style" finest.  I wish I could have seen it but I was inside at the Old Stone School manning my booth filled with toile pillows, Peter's paintings, plants, wreaths and so much more.  However, being inside was probably just as good since everyone visiting the Holiday Craft Fair was truly in the Christmas Spirit.

Hillsboro, Virginia was originally settled by Quakers in the mid-18th century.  When the Civil War began, Hillsboro was a thriving village with three mills, several taverns and numerous other small businesses.  However, the War took its toll on the area and by the time it was over, the town's burgeoning industry had moved elsewhere.  Now Hillsboro sits in the foothills of the Blue Ridge filled with beautiful homes that line the busy road that runs through it.   Yet, this town still provides residents and commuters alike with panoramic views of the mountains and beautiful vignettes of historic, pre-Civil War and Victorian Homes.  Five homes were open to the public and all were dressed to the "nines" in Christmas Greens.

Even though I was busy from the beginning until the end of the craft show, I was delighted to have Elena stop by and visit me before she joined her group of roving carolers through the homes of Hillsboro serenading all of the visitors.  As pretty as I thought my booth was, Elana certainly brightened it up that much more.  Elena is also part of the cast for the holiday theatrical production at the Hillsboro Old Stone School of  "Once Upon a Christmas Carol," an ode to Charles Dickens' original tale.   Elena told me that she has several parts to play in the production and if she is as talented as she is pretty, I'm sure it must be a wonderful play.  I loved her beautiful Victorian costume of velvet and satin. Her furry muff reminded me of when I was young and my sister and I both had muffs to warm our hands when we were dressed in our Sunday best during the cold Chicago winters.  They may not have been so fancy, but they were made of white rabbit fur and mine was one of my favorite things.

So, that was the gist of my weekend--fun and festive and wonderfully full of friends, new and old, to get me into the holiday spirit.  It was great to have an indoor space this time where the weather was certainly delightful inside a heated building.  It always amazes me how much I can pack into a tiny space but it always seems to work out invitingly well no matter what time of the year it is.  However, this booth was especially colorful and festive to match the Christmas atmosphere all over Hillsboro. All I needed was perhaps, a little eggnog to sweeten the day even more.

In any case, the Hillsboro Holiday Craft Show was the last of the shows for me during 2010 and now I start planning and looking forward to 2011 but not after a little more holiday cheer in my own home.  So, for now, I'll start enjoying my own decorations from the holly and ivy to frosted pine cones and quiet snow angels, all tucked away in their own little corners of the house.

In the meantime, here is a sneak peak at Peter's newest painting, fresh off the easel --The historic Quaker Village of Lincoln, Virginia.  I wonder which town will be his next muse?  We'll have to wait and see...Until then, enjoy this Christmas Season.

3 comments:

  1. I'm sorry I didn't make it out to the show this year, but I'm glad to see a picture of your "booth." As soon as I saw the photo, I knew it had to be Elena! We have 2 additional block tickets to the show on the 18th -- please let me know if you want them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cyndie, Your booth was LOVELY! I love the pins made from the felted wool and am very excited to be giving them to my sisters in law! They will love their uniqueness. The perfect compliment to the Blooming Hill handmade soap! Thanks so much. Where do you get your energy??

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to send you an application for being a vendor at the Hunt Country Stable Tour Country Fair. Would you let me know how to do so? Thank you.

    louisapbbarker@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete