1. The partridge in a pear tree represents the Baby Jesus.
2. Two turtle doves are the Old and New Testaments.
|Have you ever noticed that deer are NOT mentioned in this song?|
4. The four calling birds are the four Gospels of Matthew, Mark, Luke and John.
5. Five golden rings recall the Torah or law which are the first five books of the Old Testament.
6. Six geese a-laying stands for the six days it took God to create heaven and earth.
7. Seven swans a-swimming represent the seven-fold gifts of the Holy Spirit; Prophesy, Serving,Teaching, Exhortation,Contribution, Leadership and Mercy.
8. The eight maids a a-milking are the eight Beatitudes.
9. Nine ladies dancing represents the nine fruits of the Holy Spirit; love, peace, joy, patience, kindness, goodness, gentleness, faithfulness and self-control.
10. Ten lords a-leaping are the Ten Commandments.
11. Eleven pipers stand for the eleven faithful disciples.
12. And finally--The twelve drummers drumming symbolize the twelve points of Christian belief in the apostles Creed.
And, of course, "my true love" is our Gracious and Loving God!