2021 Blooming Hill Events and Happenings

We are working on it. Stay tuned...

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Rain Drops Keep Falling On My Head!


But that doesn't mean my Eyes will soon be turning red, as the song goes, because life is good, this April.  Besides, what kind of a gardener would I be if I complained about a little heavy rain, thunder, lightening, high winds and continual flooding...oh well.  The famous English Gardener, Vita Sackville West referred to April as "the Angel of the Months, the Young Love of  the Year."

Perhaps with all of the extreme weather we have been having of late, "the Young Love of the Year" may be taking things a bit farther afield than we can imagine at the present.  However, the tulips don't seem to be complaining.  Actually,  I think they may agree with Vita's assessment of April.  Well, at the very least, the water table is being built up for the long hot summer which, I garantee, will be a long and hot summer!

The Leesburg Flower and Garden Show was wonderful...if you don't count Saturday of course, when we had to batten down the hatches as best we could and abandon ship--in this case, tent--by 3pm.  The line of terrible thunderstorms were headed straight for Leesburg and the vendors were given a choice of battening down and going home or battening down and heading for the emergency shelter the show organizers had prepared for us, in adavnce.  Being the former girl scout that I am, I chose to batten down, call it a day.  I called Peter who came to help secure everything as best we could, then lowered the tent as low as we could, said a little prayer and headed for home.  On the way home, somebody turned on the water spiggot full force and we were glad that our garden statuary and decor were either weather worthy or packed away in sturdy, sealed plastic boxes.  In spite of all of that, I think my booth was one of the prettiest ever, all decked out in garden finery and frills.



On the other hand, the sun came out and Sunday was perfectly lovely as was the burgeoning crowd of eager "gardening-types" who attended.  I have participated in a lot of shows over the years and have seen a lot of crowds, but this was my first appearance at the Leesburg Flower and Garden Show and  I never saw so many people at one of these events as I saw at this one...phew!  It was crazy but the patrons were friendly and pleasant.  Many of whom I have met over the years and remembered me and my booth.  What's nicer even still, they had come looking for me.  Thank you, thank you, thank you for your kind words and generous support!

While I was dodging raindrops and working on my tan at the Flower and Garden Show, Peter was working hard on the shop--primping, and painting.  This has certainly been his project from the moment the truck arrived with the lumber way back in February. Working as hard as he is, I think he is enjoying this project but won't be sorry to see it completed...very soon! Of course, that's when, the real work begins...We plan to be open 10am until 5pm every Friday and Satuday.

To top off these almost perfect April days, in between the very wet rain drops falling again and again, by Monday evening, our little garden shop began to emerge from it's cacoon as a deep blue butterfly (a la Peter) waiting to spread its wings on Friday, April 30th--our grand opening--which happens with the PHilomont garden PHair that same day in the village three quaters of a mile down the road.  Stop by and browse the shop.  We will be stocking it with lots of gardening surprises and treasures. You can also tour our beautiful springtime gardens 10am until 5pm that day.  If you are one of the lucky few who come between 12 noon and 2pm, and can nab a chair for tea under the garden tent--first come first serve--we will be serving an informal creme tea (scones and tea) prepared by the tea service 2 Broads and a Brit for $12 per person on Saturday (4/30) only. The tea will happen rain or shine!...Let's keep our fingers and toes crossed for shine, shall we?...Afterall, April is not only about raindrops and we are due for some sunshine, too.

This particular April has been adament in her habit of reminding us that, "When clouds appear like rocks and towers, the earth's refreshed with frequent showers."  In any case, after a long winter, it is good to be out celebrating spring at local shows as well as in my own garden, even in the rain.  It's always wonderful seeing you, too--rain or shine!

2 comments:

  1. Cyndie,

    I need your address, so I may be one of the lucky few! Sorry it rained the first day of the Leesburg show. I usually go, but I completely lost track of time. We had to go to the honors welcome at Mason for our daughter Calvert. It was worth it, she is SO psyched for school this August! We got to see the honors dorm, it makes me wish I was coming with her. Flat screen t.v.'s , full kitchens, game areas, suites with personal bathrooms, and to top it off...the laundry room is on the net. It will paige you when your laundry is completed! What ever happened to poor college students?
    I can't wait to see the shop and gardens!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to the big event! And the weather forecast is wonderful, hooray!
    The deer ate our first tulips but the next batch has survived so far.

    ReplyDelete